Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Selling Wood

My wife and I were having a conversation about art and how one goes about pricing said art. As usual, I have a difference of opinion about this subject. It is probably due to the fact that first, I do not make a living off of art. Second, I do not consider what I do as art.
I don't get what makes someone's art better or even "worth" more than another individual's. Again, I don't consider what I do as art but rather I have found an outlet for me to pay homage to a form of art that I have loved for decades. Aargh! I am having a difficult time trying to get my point out of head. I guess it is this: I am under the impression that we do art(or craft or have a hobby) for ourselves. I am not sure that I have looked at what I do and get overly concerned whether someone else is going to like it.(although, I love it when I get good feedback!!!!) I am kind of thinking that my work is worth the cost of materials and a smidge more for the cost of band-aids and a little for time. Honestly, if someone expresses interest in something that I did, I am hopping all around the house. There is not a better feeling for me than selling something that was made by, ME.
Please help me out with this. How do YOU value art?

No comments:

Post a Comment